The war in Ukraine has resulted in a major humanitarian situation. A large number of people face the consequences of war, are internally displaced to the West of Ukraine or have left the country.
Dorcas has 2 offices in Ukraine, 1 of them in Transcarpathia, located in Uzghorod near the Hungarian border. This region in the west of Ukraine is safe so far because no fighting is taking place in this part of the country. Our country office team and the partners in this area have started an emergency response in Transcarpathia and we are responding on a small scale in the Zaporosjni region where another office of Dorcas is located.
In Ukraine we are working in the following programmatic areas: Social Empowerment and Protection mainly focusing on elderly and children, inclusive entrepreneurship and Humanitarian Assistance and Recovery. Since 2014 Dorcas has been involved in the humanitarian response to conflict-induced needs in Eastern Ukraine, with funding from the Dutch Relief Alliance (2016-2018) and other sources of funding. Our current emergency response focuses on the sectors: Food Security & Livelihoods, Shelter/NFI and Protection and Multi Purpose Cash.
At this moment we are recruiting a
Humanitarian Response Programme Manager Eastern Ukraine
(Starting date: asap and a 1-year contract with the possibility for extension)
(Expat-contract, consultancy assignment or Dorcas labour contract)
Purpose of the position:
As our programme manager you will be based in Eastern Ukraine and manage the relief programmes of Dorcas in Eastern Ukraine. You will manage the programme team and coordinate with implementing partners, authorities, other INGOs and UN agencies.
You will be responsible for:
- Actively participating in the country management team;
- Ensuring the management and monitoring of high-quality implementation of humanitarian assistance and (possibly) recovery projects in line with donor requirements;
- Providing leadership through managing, capacitating, coaching and providing technical advice to local staff and partner organisations in project implementation;
- Supporting logistic, financial and administrative project affairs, incl. budget design and monitoring of expenses;
- Strengthening the strategic position of the Dorcas Ukraine humanitarian response operation;
- Representing Dorcas and networking with relevant donors, government institutions and other stakeholders;
- Identifying future program opportunities through attending INGO and UN cluster meetings;
- Identifying and addressing gaps and resulting need for further extension of the Dorcas Ukraine humanitarian response projects;
- Developing new projects proposals for institutional donors;
- Ensuring timely submission of internal reports and reports to institutional donors according to their requirements.
- MA/MSc degree preferably related to Humanitarian Affairs and/or International Development; Candidates with a BSc degree and extensive relevant experience are also invited to apply;
- At least 5 years relevant field experience in Humanitarian Assistance and at least 3 years programme management experience;
- Experience in managing and coaching teams (having to work under high mental pressure);
- Experience in working in fragile/conflict contexts;
- Experience in humanitarian assistance & recovery programming;
- Experience in working with local and international partner organisations and in coaching and capacity building;
- Experience in writing proposals, raising funds and managing projects funded by institutional donors;
- Able to cope with stressful, delicate and possibly unstable situations;
- Able to set, pursue and achieve goals;
- Flexible with strong interpersonal skills and communication skills;
- Fluent command of English (both verbal and written); knowledge of Ukrainian and/or Russian is considered a strong asset;
- Commitment to adhere to the Dorcas Christian core values.
Apply for this vacancy!
Qualified candidates are kindly invited to send their cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Due to the urgency to fill this role, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will close this advert when we have received sufficient applications. For more information about this position please contact our recruiter David via the above e-mail address or via +31682568838.
Given the current challenges in obtaining a visa for Ukraine, having a free movement (i.e. EU/USA/CAN passport) is required.
*All Dorcas employees sign the Dorcas code of conduct and are obliged to adhere to it. The protection of the child has specific attention in our code of conduct. We hereby follow the PSEA guidelines (Protection Against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse). During the application process we can perform a background check, including references from former employers. You can find our code of conduct.